Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Passion and Purity

Today I was reading Passion and Purity by Elisabeth Elliot. I love to read and am trying to be intentional about reading more often. I was challenged today by these words: "It's not the wife's job to demand that her husband love her as Christ loved the Church. Her job is to submit in such a way (that is, gladly, voluntarily, wholeheartedly) as to make it easier for him to love her that way." Brian, I pray that I can make it easy for you. Look out! I may be a brand new woman by the time you get home!

5 comments:

Amy said...

I haven't read any of Elisabeth Elliot's books, but I'd like to. I've heard so many good things! She has a great tape series for parents that I often checked out of the church library to listen to - very down to earth, practical suggestions.

Anonymous said...

That is such a lovely quote.

I receive her e-devotion each day in my email. It is short and she cuts to the chase.

I have read her biography of Amy Carmichael. It is very good, and I recommend it if you enjoy reading biographies.

Christina said...

How wonderful that you are using your time while your husband is gone to read good books. I am sure that it will bear good fruit when he comes home. My husband will be gone for 10 days in Sept. and I'll have to remember to shore myself up with good books on "Biblical Womanhood" while he's gone. The week he gets back has been hard for me in the past because I've lost sight of a lot of Biblical truths and been pretty selfish. I'd like to reverse that tendency.
Christina

Jenn said...

Amy - I have only read this one book of hers as of yet, but I hope to read more.

Leslie - nice to have you come by. I glanced at your site and will have to come back again soon. I've had trouble with blogger some too.

Christina - I find that I have a tendency to be selfish too - especially with my husbands time. I will pray for you during that time in September.

Kelly said...

I love that we are to submit AS TO THE LORD. It is such a reminder that when I honor Jason, I am honoring Jesus.