Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Joy

Our church has been going through a sermon series on the Sovereignty Psalms once a month. A couple of weeks ago we studied the text of Psalm 96. This passage focuses on the call (our call) to worship and several reasons that support this call.

One of the reasons we are called to worship the LORD is because of His glory.
“So the Psalmist’s concern is that we would ascribe, or give or attribute, glory to the LORD. Glorify Him – this is what the Psalmist is telling us to do. So how do we do this? We honor him – we make him look excellent to this world! How many of us got up this morning and went about the grind of Sunday morning with zero joy, zero gladness, zero rejoicing, zero honor to the LORD?”

This point hit home with me. How am I ascribing glory to the Lord with my life? Is my life characterized by joy? How would my children or husband answer this question? I don’t often serve joyfully in the ‘everydayness’ of life – for me, it’s easy to get caught up in trying just to ‘get it all done’. I want to serve with joy – I do desire that – and now I am challenged to try and do that.

I have found that it begins with me getting into the Word. While I may not have much time to read alone, by myself, in the quiet – I can read a little. I can focus on a verse or two as I go throughout the day, remembering why I do what I do, remembering that God has called me to be a Wife and a Mother – for His glory.

No comments: