Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas and Tradition

Here is a sweet story written by John Piper to share with your family this Christmas...

We all know that Christmas is about the birth of the Savior - the Word becoming flesh - to dwell among us ... to save His people ...

But it's also about tradition that surrounds that Truth! As our kids are growing older, we hope to instill special traditions during this time of year. Each night we have celebrated Advent through the reading of The Advent Book. Get this book for your young children! By the time Christmas gets here, they can recite most of the Christmas story all by themselves. We have also created other traditions around here: like making Christmas cookies, building (or trying to build) gingerbread houses, making and painting ornaments for the tree... We hope to create these and more memories as they grow older.

Another important tradition ... not so spiritual ... but oh so important ... surrounds Food! Come on people - that's what I'm talking about. This year we are staying in town for Christmas. Brian's parents live in town but they are going to be gone on Christmas day, so I can't count on them for the Turkey. (And I love me some turkey - and the leftovers for sandwiches, etc.) So... if we want turkey, then it's up to me to cook it. Excpet for the fact that ... I've never cooked a turkey. In the 10 years we've been married, I've been able to work it out that someone else did it. Now, everything else I can handle ... side dishes - done but the turkey? Well, I have my instructions ... so we'll see how it goes...

No comments: