Wednesday, May 07, 2008

All I Needed Was a Little Butter...

If you want to know more about me and the things that I do, here's a story that my husband would call 'classic Jenn'.

Today I was working on a cake for a baby shower tomorrow evening. I was about to make some of my buttercream icing and I didn't have any real butter. (And let's face it, buttercream icing just isn't the same without butter!)

So, I grabbed all 4 kids and got everyone loaded into the car. We ran to Kroger since we only needed a few items (I knew better than to head to WalMart). We found one of those buggies that has a car on the front so the boys were thrilled. Since everyone was behaving so nicely, I decided to pick up a few extra items so I didn't have to venture out later this evening.

We headed to the checkout - almost done and ready to get home. As the lady is scanning the groceries, I start looking in my purse for my check card ... and I keep looking ... and looking ... and looking. You all know the feeling I'm sure. I started to sweat a little and thought, "I just need the butter to do the icing." But I had no cash, no extra checks, nothing. I told the lady my predicament and asked if I could run home to get the money and come right back.

As we are walking out to the car, to load up again, I started thinking about a sermon I had listened to by CJ Mahaney at the Together for the Gospel conference. He had shared a story about how he had gotten to his hotel at the conference and his room card wouldn't work. He really didn't have time for that but realized that God is sovereign even over these little things that happen every day. It's all about how we handle these little things ... so I tried to shrug it all off and just go with the flow (which goes against my nature, just so you know).

As we were loading up, I checked the floorboard of the car just to make sure my check card didn't fall out of my purse or something, but I didn't see it. So we ran home (with the big kids asking me the entire way about 'why would leave all your money at home?') I ran inside and I didn't see my check card anywhere so I grabbed the credit card.

Back to get the groceries, we all unloaded again and paid for the groceries. This time as we loaded up, I began to get a little concerned about my check card and what I did with it. I knew I had used it the day before on the way home from somewhere so I leaned over to check the floorboard one more time ... and guess what I saw? Yep!

All I needed was a little butter...

4 comments:

Christina said...

We were going through the same thing! Yesterday, I had to go into the next town (30min away) for Amy's choir rehersal. I had two hours to go to costco, CVS, Bath and Body works, and the department store. I had my lists, and my coupons. Last minuite I grabbed a book just in case. Well good thing I did! I left my wallet at home! I had a coffee card in the car, so I got coffee and a muffin and read for two hours instead. Turns out it was really what I needed to do. So now, I'll have to go back (during the next dress rehersal) and shop with my other kids in tow.

Kim said...

Sounds alot like "classic Kim" as well :)

robin said...

Recently, we had our small group over and it was supposed to be no food. At the last minute I decided to "whip" up a full buffet of appetizers. Silas and I ran to Costco then to Harris Teeter. After literally running through Harris Teeter I go to get my wallet out...no wallet. I had to leave my groceries and go back to Costco - luckily it was there. I went to another harris teeter and reshopped, because I was so emabarrassed to have left my groceries sitting there. I blame it on having 4 kids...
I was exhausted by the end - but the food and fellowship were both worth the trouble!!!

April said...

Hey! I don't think you are any different then the rest of us. I know I have a story like that.

Thanks so much for checking up on me, friend. I haven't felt much like blogging lately but I am still keeping up with my blog buddies. Homeschool is winding down. I am looking forward to summer. Blessing to you.

I have listened to at least one sermon from the TFTG conference and hope to listen to more. I am so glad you blogged about it. It has been a blessing.

Have a great week friend.