Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Obedience

We have been in the midst of sickness here this week. Two of my babies have had coughing, fever and snot. Mommies, you know how it goes: they sneeze and you have to grab whatever is available ... Everyone is improving though. Although I hate to see them not feel good, I DO enjoy all of the extra holding and cuddling time I get. This afternoon I was able to read over one of Piper's sermons and I want to share it with you.

Is our obedience known to all? Here is an excerpt from a sermon by John Piper:

That’s what we saw last week. Now in verse 19, Paul commends the Romans for their obedience and mentions this as a reason why they need to be vigilant over error and why he is so happy about them. He says, “For your obedience is known to all.” In other words, if false teachers get the upper hand among you, then all the more reproach will come to the name of Christ because your obedience is know everywhere. The greater your reputation for obedience, the more damage can be done if you get sucked into false teaching. So be vigilant “for your obedience is know to all.” You have a great responsibility.

And, he says, I want you to know that your obedience brings me great joy. Verse 19: “Your obedience is known to all, so that I rejoice over you.” Paul had not founded this church. He had never been there. He was simply joyful over the reputation of a church that walked in obedience to Jesus. When you rejoice in churches, is it because they are big or have good music or because they are obedient to the radical demands of Jesus?


Go here to read the rest of the article…

3 comments:

Christina said...

"When you rejoice in churches, is it because they are big or have good music or because they are obedient to the radical demands of Jesus?"

I'm pondering this in light of our current church situation. Thanks for sharing this.

Amy said...

"The greater your reputation for obedience, the more damage can be done if you get sucked into false teaching."

Oh boy, I've seen the truth of this first hand. I always enjoy Piper's teaching. I'll have to take a look at the website again and do some reading.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for directing my attention to this sermon. There is much to think about here.